29.9.13

This Time, From Texas

      It's been quite a while since I sat down to write and try to put words to what is going on in my life.  The last time I wrote on this site was almost 6 months ago.  To say there have been some changes in my life would be an understatement.  When last I wrote, I was still teaching Spanish in Athens.  I was looking towards a move to Texas after a summer in Athens.  Since then, I have made it out of the country (Panama in July.  That means I need to look for somewhere out of the country to go before July).  I spent my summer playing tennis, eating at Athens restaurants, and "packing."  The second saturday in August, my parents and I loaded up a u-haul, said, "so long," to Athens, and started the drive to Texas.  Along the way, I saw my roommate from India (an unexpected, but good time), and marveled at the variation in quality of I-20.
     We made it to Texas, turned my living room into mini-India, and I started school.  Along the way, the Father provided in unexpected ways (one, an awesome job), confirming I am where He would have me.  It has been a whirlwind.  The phrase I have repeated the most over the last few weeks has been, "I feel like I haven't stopped moving since I started school."  In fact, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of this past week, I spent 12+ hours on campus each day.  And then, there's Texas.
     Texas is different.  That might seem extremely obvious to some and surprising to others.  Fort Worth is very different than Athens.  I am thankful, though, that campus has big open spaces with grass and big, old trees (Even if they are pecan instead of oak).  It has been a very cool experience meeting people from different parts of the country, from Texas, Kansas, Maryland, North Carolina, and some new Georgia friends!  The Lord has even provided access to a sizable Indian community where I can keep speaking Hindi and eating some good, spicy food.
     I'm hoping to post here at least once a week, if only so I can remember what happened.  For now, here's a list of some things I've done since I've gotten to Texas...

  • been to a Shane & Shane concert
  • Central Market (which happens to be near World Market)
  • started an awesome, new job
  • started CrossFit
  • kept doing CrossFit
  • made some awesome new friends
  • been a "new member" at a church for the first time
  • used my Spanish degree (especially business spanish) for work
  • started learning a language with case endings... (something I said I would never do... who knew Greek has case endings?)
  • read some
  • read more
  • read a lot
  • told some stories... including One really important one.
  • found some friends who love India...
  • missed Georgia's awesome fall weather
  • watched Georgia beat LSU! (And South Carolina, and UNT, and Cle... well...)
  • played broomball
  • did I mention I've read a little?

Next on the list is find an awesome breakfast place (Ike & Jane, Big City Bread, and Momma's Boy, you all should start a store out here)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sam,
    I know your Mom; we went to Towers High School many moons ago! Congratulations on moving to the great state of Texas! You will adore living here; our family lives in Canyon which is in the Texas Panhandle. Good Luck and God Bless!
    Fondly,
    Pamela Young

    ReplyDelete